Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

TABERNACLE WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL, MILL STREET AND POWELL STREET, ABERYSTWYTH;CAPEL-Y-GROES

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 7157

Map Reference SN58SE

Grid Reference SN5833281447

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Aberystwyth

Type of Site CHAPEL

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Tabernacle Methodist Chapel was first built in 1785 and rebuilt in 1819 and 1832. The chapel was rebuilt for a third time in 1879, in the Classical style of the gable-entry type, to the design of architect Richard Owen of Liverpool. The chapel had a narrow-wall façade to Powell Street and a 3-storey elevation to Mill Street. The Tabernacle lay disused from November 2002 and was then destroyed by fire and the site cleared in July 2008. The war memorial (NPRN 32641) was moved prior to demolition and re-housed in the Ceredigion Museum.

RCAHMW, November 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records