You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Neuadd-lwyd Welsh Independent Chapel;capel Neuaddlwyd, Neuadd-lwyd

Loading Map
NPRN7248
Map ReferenceSN45NE
Grid ReferenceSN4745659614
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
CommunityHenfynyw
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Neuadd-Lwyd Welsh Indepdendent Chapel was first built in 1746, but later rebuilt in 1819, 1869 and 1906. It is in the sub-Classical style, with an unpainted stuccoed exterior beneath a pitched slate roof. The chapel is entered via a central double door with crescent overlight in the Venetian style gable front, which has four pilasters and a central arch reaching up to the pedimented gable. Above the door there are two small round-headed windows, and to either side there are two tall round-headed windows with two-light tracery below a roundel. All fenestration in the front elevation has raised surrounds with shoulders and keystones. The side elevations each have three long round-headed windows.
The chapel interior is plain and without a gallery. The pews are of pine, and face a curved great seat with balustrading. The pulpit has Gothic panelling and balustraded sides, together with steps to either side, and sits before a large plaster arch. The ceiling is of boarded panels with moulded ribs and a four-pointed central motif.

Source: Cadw Listed Buildings Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 17 March 2009