You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Capel Drindod Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel;Capel-y-Drindod, Aberbanc

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN34SE
Grid ReferenceSN3549241811
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodPost Medieval
A chapel was first built on the site of the Capel Drindod Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel in 1794 by the Lloyd family of Bronwydd. It was later rebuilt in the simple round-headed style in 1864. It is built of squared rubble stone with dressed stone voussoirs, below a slate roof with timber eaves and bargeboards. The chapel is entered via a central round-arched doorway with radiating fanlight in the three bay gable front. To either side of the door is a tall round-arched window with radiating upper glazing in an arched recess. The side elevations each have three similar windows, with a further two in the rear elevation. A tablet in the front gable reads 'Capel y Drindod. Adeiladwyd 1864'.
The chapel interior is plastered and painted. The ceiling has a large central plaster rose and a smaller, less elaborate rose in each of the four corners. Below is a moulded cornice. The pulpit has a veneered serpentine front and panelled lower section. It is approached via balustrated curving staircases.

Source: Cadw Listed Buildings Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 17 March 2009