You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Cwmystwyth Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel (3); Siloam, Cwmystwyth,

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN77SE
Grid ReferenceSN7853674162
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
Period19th Century
The cause started in 1756 and the first Cwmystwyth Methodist Chapel and Schoolroom were built in 1805 (NPRN 506087) at Pentre-Briwnant. A second chapel was subsequently built on a different, but adjacent, site in 1835 (NPRN 506088) and this third chapel in 1870. The 1870 chapel was built next to the main road in the village of Cwmystwyth and was built to the design of Richard Owen of Liverpool.

The chapel is a two storey sone building with yellow brick dressings. The centrally placed round-headed doorway is flanked by two flat-headed windows with sash glazing, immediately above which are two round-headed windows. Over the doorway is a triple light window , the outer two lights narrower than the central one. In the apex of the gable is a semi-circlar plaque. To the left of the chapel is an attached Sunday school in line, and to the left of that is an attached chapel house, set at right angles.

In 1905 (Royal Commission on the Church of England and other Religious Bodies in Wales and Monmouthshire) there were 500 sittings in the chapel which was valued at £2046.

RCAHMW, March 2015