You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Site Of Gardens & Dovecote, Kidwelly Castle

Loading Map
NPRN79038
Map ReferenceSN40NW
Grid ReferenceSN4091807134
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCarmarthenshire
Old CountyCarmarthenshire
CommunityKidwelly
Type Of SiteGARDEN
PeriodMedieval
Description
Kidwelly Castle (NPRN 95633) stands within a much larger earthwork enclosure, situated in the north-eastern section of Kidwelly Town (NPRN 303916), immediately north of the Gwendraeth Fach estuary. The enclosure measures some 3.4ha, and may have been an original feature of the castle layout. The south-west section of this large enclosure held a small walled borough (NPRN 33065), whilst the north-east section was given over to the castle gardens, presumably those mentioned in 1282. In 1361 there were two gardens, including an orchard and a dovecote. This north-east section was bisected by a defensive ditch at the time of the troubles in the opening years of the fifteenth century. The gardens were restored thereafter. On a map of 1789 the two divisions are labelled 'the two conigars', implying that they were then or had recently had been, pressed into service as coneygarths or rabbit warrens.

Sources include:
James, 1980, Carmarthenshire Antiquary 16, pg 6-8

John Wiles 28.01.08