You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Taff Merthyr Colliery, Bedlinog

Loading Map
Map ReferenceST19NW
Grid ReferenceST1037099020
Unitary (Local) AuthorityMerthyr Tydfil
Old CountyGlamorgan
Taff Merthyr was a new colliery sunk between 1922 and 1926. There were two shafts, 635m and 647m deep, each 6.4m in diameter;latterly the north shaft carried coal in nine-tonne 'skips' and the south shaft was used for ventilation and transporting men and materials. A full complement of associated buildings included a large hall which housed most of the power applications at the colliery: two winding engines and their generator sets, three compressors, and two electric motors driving the ventilation fans. The north and south headframes, large workshops, lamproom, main office, water tower, explosives store and coal screens completed the original complex; added in the later 1920s were the baths, medical centre and canteen. During upgrading of the colliery in the 1970s, the coal preparation plant was reconstructed, incorporating earlier buildings, and other facilities added including a modern computer controlled washery.
The colliery was closed and demolished, and the site was cleared in late 1994.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 03 June 1997.
See Industrial Archaeology Review, Vol. XIX (1997), pp.75-98 for a published account of the process at the colliery.