Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

OCEAN DEEP NAVIGATION COLLIERY, TREHARRIS

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 80489

Map Reference ST19NW

Grid Reference ST10119732

Unitary (Local) Authority Merthyr Tydfil

Old County Glamorgan

Community Treharris

Type of Site COAL MINE

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period 19th Century, Post Medieval

Site Description In 1872, work started on sinking the shafts of Harris's Navigation Colliery, eventually reaching depths of 593m (north shaft) and 695m (south shaft) by 1879, at the time the deepest in the south Wales coalfield. Production began shortly afterwards. By 1896 the mine was owned by the Ocean Coal Company and was known as Deep Navigation. The first pithead baths in Wales were opened, by Miss Davies of Llandinam, at Ocean Deep Navigation on 15 June 1916. The mine closed in 1991, since when the buildings have been demolished and the site cleared and landscaped.

B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 14 October 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records