You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Castell-y-waun;chirk Castle, Park, Grounds And Gardens

Loading Map
NPRN86629
Map ReferenceSJ23NE
Grid ReferenceSJ2685538087
Unitary (Local) AuthorityWrexham
Old CountyDenbighshire
CommunityChirk
Type Of SiteCOUNTRY HOUSE GARDEN
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The parkland at Chirk Castle is an outstanding landscape feature, partly designed by William Emes. The terraced and informal garden is in a fine elevated position and there are also remains from the medieval period. Features within the layout include early eighteenth century entrance gates and screen by Robert and John Davies, the early eighteenth century statue of Hercules by van Nost, and late nineteenth century yew hedging and topiary.

The park has a long history, beginning as a deer park of the Mortimer family in the fourteenth century. By the time of a survey of 1391-2 by Robert Eggerley, the emparked area was timber-fenced with 100 acres of woodland. This was later cleared and replanted by the Earl of Leicester, or the Myddletons, after 1595. The trees were again felled during the Civil War with further replanting by Sir Thomas Myddleton during the Restoration. In 1675 he extended the park to the south and east to hold 500 deer.

Badeslade's panoramic engraving of 1742 stylises a grand baroque layout of formal gardens with axes extended into the park as avenues. This layout probably dates from the early years of the eighteenth century and is therefore the work of either Sir Richard or Robert Myddelton. To the east of the castle were formal gardens, to its north a walled forecourt closed on the north by wrought iron gates and screens. Beyond was a great avenue leading down to a lake. Further avenues led eastward across the park from the main garden axis and from the long walk down their southern side. A public road runs below the forecourt, branching north-east towards Whitehurst and east towards Chirk. Another runs along the south side of the park from Chirk to the castle. Below it, near the river Ceiriog, is a small two-storey 'Cold Bath' building, with an adjoining rectangular pool. The park is bounded with paling, with gates on the southern road (probably those referred to as 'Bady's White Gates'). The most wooded part of the park appears to be the ground flanking the south road. To the east of the garden the ground is largely open and crossed by avenues. To the north-east are scattered trees. Its Main Phases of Construction are early eighteenth century; 1760s-70s; late nineteenth century to c. 1920.

RCAHMW, 06 February 2008
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfCPG - Cadw Parks and Gardens Register Descriptions