You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Tabernacle Welsh Independent Chapel, Woodfield Street, Treforys;morriston

Loading Map
NPRN8993
Map ReferenceSS69NE
Grid ReferenceSS6695097820
Unitary (Local) AuthoritySwansea
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityMorriston
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Tabernacle Independent Chapel in Treforys is perhaps the most ambitious grand chapel in Wales and is able to seat 1,480 people. It was built between 1870-72, to the design of architect John Humpreys of Morriston, in the Classical style with a gable-entry plan. Tabernacle has been called 'The Cathedral of Welsh Nonconformity' but was originally known as the New Libanus Chapel. Externally, the stone built chapel has round-headed windows with tracery glazing and an integral tower. The magnificent interior includes a shallow elliptical ceiling with ribs on polygonal corbels and elaborate panelling. There are intruded corners to the front staircases and a continuous gallery with a balustrade supported on iron columns, stencilled decoration to the coving and a boarded front surmounted by filigree work. The organ, set to the rear of the chapel, has a Gothic case and further detached banks of organ pipes which reach to the ceiling. Tabernacle is now Grade 1 Listed for its 'striking exterior presence and virtually unaltered interior and fittings'.

RCAHMW, November 2010