You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Trinity Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Glanmor Park Road, Sketty

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSS69SW
Grid ReferenceSS6317392971
Unitary (Local) AuthoritySwansea
Old CountyGlamorgan
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
Period20th Century
Trinity Methodist Chapel was built in 1954 to replace Trinity Chapel, Park Street in the centre of Swansea which was destroyed by bombing during the Second World war (NPRN 506105). The decision for the congregation to move here was due to the fact that a Sunday School had been built on this site by the chapel in 1925. The new chapel was built next to this and it is now used as a a vestry and meeting room.

The chapel was designed by Percy Thomas and from the exterior is a building of a very simple Italianate design, the facade with a wide, molded stone arch around the door and a small circular window to the gable, furnished with a decorative radiating iron grille. The side elevations are stepped out to accommodate the aisles which, unusually, site either side of a central bank of pews on the interior.

The interior is strikingly simple. The single, central bank of pews are of a light oak, as is the simple, boarded pulpit with bronze railings to the steps either side. Behind the pulpit is a full height bay of oak paneling with inset mesh panels for disseminating the organ music. The grey brickwork is largely left exposed, with only the aisles being plastered and painted white. This, together with the tall, flat-headed windows, gives the interior a particularly light and airy atmosphere. There is an end gallery, fronted with grey material, and with a raking set of pews identical to those on the ground floor. The ceiling is covered with square white tiles and there are a series of 10 lights. Each of these comprises of an oak circle from which hangs 6 white glass pendants. In addition to the main form and fittings, there are additional items such as the deacons chairs and umbrella stands which complete the remarkable survival of Thomas's interior.

RCAHMW, August 2016