You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Crickhowell;crug Hywel;crickhowell Town

Loading Map
NPRN91235
Map ReferenceSO21NW
Grid ReferenceSO2178018420
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyBrecknockshire
CommunityCrickhowell
Type Of SiteTOWN
PeriodModern
Description
Crickhowell, in Welsh Crug Hywel, is named after the Iron Age fort that lies close to the town. The castle at its core (NPRN 92110) was founded in the twelfth century as a timber and earth motte and bailey, but this was refortified in stone in the late thirteenth to early fourteenth century. A notable feature is the bridge over the river (NPRN 23741), first recorded in 1538 but rebuilt in 1706.

RCAHMW, February 2011.

Resources
DownloadTypeSourceDescription
application/pdfKAM - K.A. Martin CollectionDigital report, entitled 'To the north of the River Usk between Crickhowell and Bwlch - with some speculations on the River Usk as a waterway'.
application/pdfAWP - Archaeology Wales Project ArchivesArchaeology Wales Written Scheme of Investigation for an archaeological brief at 4 Orchard Court, Bridge Street, Crickhowell, September 2017. Project No 2558.