You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Incline Stage 3, Llanfoist Inclines

Loading Map
NPRN91650
Map ReferenceSO21SE
Grid ReferenceSO2826812912
Unitary (Local) AuthorityMonmouthshire
Old CountyMonmouthshire
CommunityLlanfoist Fawr
Type Of SiteTRAMWAY
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
This is the third of four inclines (NPRN 405096) descending Cwm Craf on the Blorenge which formed part of Hill's Tramroad (NPRN 85860). Constructed from 1818 and in operation until the 1870's the incline transported limestone and fluxing stone from the Pwll du quarries; iron goods, principally from the Garnddyrs Forge, but also from the Blaenavon works; and coal from the Bodolog level and latterly New Pit, down to Llanfoist where links were made with the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal, the Llanvihangel Railway and a series of limekilns in Llanfoist village.

At the time of construction the incline ran through woodland associated with Llanfoist Church and the Rev. James Jenkins, it was named `Coed y Parson' on the 1844 tithe for Llanfoist. The incline head is at SO 2817 1287 from where it descends some 60m over a distance of 300m (1 in 3), terminating at Llanfoist Wharf on the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal. The incline was created through the terracing of the hillside, to create a level area some 6m wide, bounded on the south by the Cwm Craf river. Sections of revetment wall survive along its course, which prevented collapse of the river bank and undercutting of the incline by the river, as well as any collapse of the hillside onto the tramway. A series of roughly rectangular single-holed stone blocks which survive along the route would originally have held the iron rails of the 2 foot gauge double track and it is likely that the stone for these was obtained from a series of quarries situated alongside the incline (NPRNs 270125, 270126, 270127, 405118, 405119, 405120, 405122). The winding wheel and brake engine was located at the head of the incline (NPRN 270131) and a tunnel some 9m in length just to the east of this, was an underpass to allow for the safe passage of animals and people (NPRN 405110).

This incline was surveyed by RCAHMW in December 2004 at the request of Cadw and World Heritage Site Partnership to provide an accurate and comprehensive archaeological record of the monument.

Louise Barker, RCAHMW, 18.10.2005
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/postscriptDSC - RCAHMW Digital Survey Collection
nullDSC - RCAHMW Digital Survey Collection
text/plainDSC - RCAHMW Digital Survey Collection
application/pdfDSC - RCAHMW Digital Survey Collection