You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Anglo-persian Oil Refinery;llandarcy Oil Refinery;skewen Oil Refinery;bp Oil Refinery, Llandarcy

Loading Map
NPRN91695
Map ReferenceSS79NW
Grid ReferenceSS7100095500
Unitary (Local) AuthorityNeath Port Talbot
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityCoedffranc
Type Of SiteOIL REFINERY
PeriodModern
Description
Llandarcy Oil Refinery was built near Skewen by the Anglo-Persian Oil Company, the forerunner to British Petroleum, and opened in 1921/2. The refinery and nearby model village of Llandarcy (nprn 408156), provided to house the workforce, was named after the founder of the company, William Knox D'Arcy. The works was supplied with crude oil imported through the purpose-built Queen's Dock (nprn 419503) at Swansea Docks and was the first large commercial oil refinery to be established in Britain. In 1961, BP constructed a jetty below Fort Popton (nprn 300447) in Milford Haven and a pumping installation, known as Angle Bay Terminal (nprn 306321), within and close to the fort in order to pump oil to Llandarcy. The pumping station closed in 1985. The Llandarcy refinery complex eventually covered an area of around 400 hectares but closed in 1999.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 01 May 2008.