Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BRIDGEND ROYAL ORDNANCE FACTORY, WATERTON, BRIDGEND

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 91719

Map Reference SS97NW

Grid Reference SS925790

Unitary (Local) Authority Bridgend

Old County Glamorgan

Community Bridgend

Type of Site MUNITIONS FACTORY

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period 20th Century, Modern

Site Description The former World War Two Royal Ordnance Factory at Waterton, on the outskirts of Bridgend, was an overspill branch of the Woolwich Arsenal in London; it opened in 1938. Designated ROF No.53, it was used for making naval shells which were filled and stored underground at the other part of the facility adjacent at Brackla (nprn 308124). At its peak, some 40,000 people worked in the two factories - the highest ever employed in one establishment in the UK. Bridgend ROF, not including Brackla, covered an area of approximately 2.2km E-W by 1.3km and is now largely rebuilt as an industrial estate, although some remnants, including air raid shelters, pill boxes (e.g. nprn 270400) and other defences (e.g. nprn 270541), are still visible. An extensive internal railway system served the complex and there was a railway station for workers, Tremains Halt, on the South Wales main line which formed the northern boundary of the site.
Accommodation was provided for employees in the form of a wooden-hutted camp (nprn 31802) at Island Farm nearby, but it was not used for its intended purpose.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 24 March 2003.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites