Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

FELIN FACH CREAMERY, GREEN GROVE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 91722

Map Reference SN55NW

Grid Reference SN51855765

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Ciliau Aeron

Type of Site DAIRY

Broad Class INDUSTRIAL

Period 20th Century, Modern

Site Description Felin Fach Creamery was opened on 10 May 1951 by the Milk Marketing Board, as a development of the milk factory at Pont Llanio (nprn 91430). It received milk daily from up to 2,000 local farms. The creamery was served by rail (the former Lampeter, Aberayron & New Quay Light Railway, nprn 419330), which was used to transport the milk mainly to London, until the railway closed in 1973. Bulk milk distribution, milk powder and butter manufacture were carried out at the creamery; there was also a cattle-breeding centre providing an AI (artificial insemination) service, a laboratory, staff cottages and a transport depot.

There are photographs of the building in a privately-owned album of photographs and documents in a scrapbook produced by P. F. Carter to provide a record of the development of the milk industry in West Wales 1928-1961. See People's Collection Wales www.peoplescollection.wales/items/491890 and 491893.
See also Brian Malaws & Miriam McDonald ‘Bwrdd Marchnata Llaeth: Four Milk Marketing Board Creameries in Wales’ Industrial Archaeology Review, 40:1 (2018), pp25-38.
B.A.Malaws, RCAHMW, 29 September 1999 & 07 December 2018.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites