Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ALISBY'S CASTLE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 92110

Map Reference SO21NW

Grid Reference SO21751825

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Brecknockshire

Community Crickhowell

Type of Site CASTLE

Broad Class DEFENCE

Period Medieval

Site Description The original Norman motte and bailey at Crickhowell was re-fortified with stone in the late thirteenth to early fourteenth century. Traces of a shell keep have been noted about the summit of an oval-shaped motte that is approximately 60m x 46m and 8m high. There are remains of a twin-towered gatehouse at its foot that opened onto a scarped forecourt, about 70m east-west and 16m deep, which has the ruins of two conjoined towers on the east. The court was set into a large bailey, about 90m by 64m across, its south and west sides followed by Castle Road. The Buck Brothers' view of 1741 shows that the bailey was originally walled, with at least three semi-circular towers. The castle was disused by the fifteenth century and subsequently pillaged for stone.

The tower in Tower Street, north of the castle (Nprn23000), is generally identified as a late eighteenth-early nineteenth century folly.

RCAHMW, December 2008.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites