You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Norwegian Church, Bute East Dock, Cardiff

Loading Map
NPRN9321
Map ReferenceST17SE
Grid ReferenceST1937574243
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCardiff
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunityButetown
Type Of SiteCHAPEL
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
The Norwegian Chapel was built in 1869 as a timber framed building with corrugated iron. The chapel is built in the Gothic style with a long-wall entry plan, integral tower and spire. This closed in 1971, was dismantled in 1987 by the Norwegian Church Preservation Trust and rebuilt in 1992 in a new location overlooking Cardiff Bay. The site is not intended to be permanent, so the building has been reconstructed in kit ( timber- frame) form, so that if necessary it can be dismantled and recreated elsewhere. The majority of the construction is of new material, including a great deal of timber donated from Norway. The original cladding was of corrugated metal, a new and exciting material at the end of the nineteenth century, but the chapel has been reconstructed using shiplap timber boarding. Some large baulks of timber in the frame and some of the wide floor boards are original. The windows are simple but attractively shaped and the walls are painted white. The chapel is now a significant feature of the mixed architecture of Cardiff Bay and houses the Norwegian Church Arts Centre.

RCAHMW, June 2010
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfRCAHMW Exhibitions