You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Mound, Castell Cymmer

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH71NW
Grid ReferenceSH7317419536
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyMerioneth
Type Of SiteMOUND
PeriodPost Medieval
This is a roughly D-shaped mound topped by a ruined building, traditionally identified with a castle built by Uchdryd ap Edwin in 1116 and destroyed in the same year. The mound lies within the former deer park belonging to the abbots of Cymer Abbey (NPRN 95420) and it has been suggested that the building is an early sixteenth century prospect tower. It has also been identified as an eighteenth century gazebo associated with the Hengwrt estate (NPRN 265208).

The mound is based on a natural outcrop and is about 46m north-east to south-west by 40m. It is set on ground falling to the west and rises 5.2m on the west side, but only 0.9m on the east. There is no trace of a ditch. It is topped by the ruins of a gabled building, 6.7m by 7.5m and standing up to 4.0m high (in 1973), with walls about 1.0m thick. The building rises one and a half storeys above a raised basement from massive foundations laid in a pit. There are traces of internal and external rendering and some decayed oak lintles survive.

The castle identification is doubtful (see OS record card). The OS County series 1st edition (Merioneth. XXXIII.11 1889) shows the mound with a regular sub-rectangular summit area accessed by a ramp from the west. The regularity in layout suggests that mound and building are contemporary.

Sources: RCAHM Inventory of Merioneth (1921), 96 No.276 - annoted copy held at RCAHMW
Hogg & King in Archaeologia Cambrensis 112 (1963), 87, 109
CADW Listed Buildings Database (4742)
History of Merioneth II (2001), 411

John Wiles, RCAHMW, 03 July 2007