You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Teilo's Church, Llandeilo Talybont

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN50SE
Grid ReferenceSN5846003000
Unitary (Local) AuthoritySwansea
Old CountyGlamorgan
Type Of SiteCHURCH

St Teilo's church is a thirteenth century church which originally stood on the bend of a river near Pontardulais in Glamorgan. The church was home to some exceptionally important wall-paintings which were painstakingly recorded by the Royal Commission prior to the dismantling and re-erection of the derelict church in the Museum of Welsh Life, St Fagans (NPRN 31920), by the National Museum Wales.  They included two phases of extensive figure painting, a Tudor Royal Arms and blackletter texts: Welsh in the nave and English in the chancel.  Also recorded were C18th English texts and inscriptions from 1715, along with the Hanoverian Royal Arms in the nave (possibly also dating to 1715) and on boards dating to 1758.

Source: Richard Suggett, Painted Temples: Wallpaintings and Rood-screens in Welsh Churches, 1200–1800, (RCAHMW 2021), pp. 2, 36, 86, 179–220, 223, 225, 247, 248, 280–1, 288–9.


application/pdfPTWRC - Painted Temples Wallpaintings and Rood-screens CollectionPhased plan of St Teilo’s Church, Llandeilo Tal-y-bont, with locations of wallpaintings. RCAHMW plan by A.J. Parkinson / R. Suggett/ C. Green, 2021. As published in the RCAHMW volume, 'Temlau Peintiedig: Murluniau a Chroglenni yn Eglwysi Cymru, 1200–1800 / Painted Temples: Wallpaintings and Rood-screens in Welsh Churches, 1200–1800.' Figure 5.7, page 185.
application/pdfRCAHMW ExhibitionsBilingual exhibition panel entitled Morgannwg: Tu mewn Eglwysi. Glamorgan: Ecclesiastical Interiors, produced by RCAHMW, 2009.