You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Cilgerran Castle

Loading Map
NPRN95037
Map ReferenceSN14SE
Grid ReferenceSN1949043130
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityCilgerran
Type Of SiteCASTLE
PeriodMedieval
Description
Cilgerran Castle stands overlooking Cilgerran Gorge and the Afon Teifi, some 500m east of St Llawddog's Church (NPRN 402530). The castle building is thought to derive from the 12th century, although the present remains are thought to date from the 13th century onwards. The ruins, which mostly surround the inner ward, include two circular towers on the south side joined by a curtain wall. There is also an early thirteenth century gatehouse to the west which may have housed the chapel on the first floor. The western curtain wall also survives as well as the partial remains of the fourteenth century north-west tower. The castle was mostly ruinous by 1325 although repairs were carried out in 1388-90.

In 1109, during an attack on Cilgerran, Nest, the wife of the Norman Lord, was abducted by Owain, son of the prince of Powys.

RCAHMW, December 2008