Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BRYN ERYR, SETTLEMENT ENCLOSURE

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 95582

Map Reference SH57NW

Grid Reference SH5406575665

Unitary (Local) Authority Isle of Anglesey

Old County Anglesey

Community Cwm Cadnant

Type of Site SETTLEMENT

Broad Class UNASSIGNED

Period Prehistoric

Site Description NAR SH57NW10

A low lying earthwork enclosure was excavated in 1985-7 revealing an involved settlement sequence.
In the earliest settlement phase a single clay walled roundhouse stood at the centre of a curvilinear paddock or paddocks. A second roundhouse was added and they were both enclosed by the visible rectangular banked and ditched circuit. This encloses an area roughly 64m north-east to south-west by 56m and was entred from the north-east. A track or drive led to a yard in front of the houses. Rectangular post-built buildings were added.
The main enclosure bank was eroding and its ditch silting by the Roman period, when a stone founded roundhouse replaced one of the earlier examples. Small quantities of pottery were associated with this period. The settlement is thought to have gone out of use during the late third or fourth century.

Sources: RCAHM Anglesey Inventory (1937), 112-3
Longley in the Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society 64 (1998), 25-73
Longley and others in Britannia 29 (1998), 185-246

John Wiles 13.08.07

Digital Images

Archive Records