You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Mary Of The Salutation, Welshpool

Loading Map
NPRN96014
Map ReferenceSJ20NW
Grid ReferenceSJ2255907663
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyMontgomeryshire
CommunityWelshpool
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
St Mary's Church in Welshpool has an eventful history which is reflected in its architecture. Tradition asserts that the first church on this site was founded in the sixth century and dedicated to St. Cynfelyn, but was refounded by Gruffydd ap Powys in the thirteenth century, dedicated to St. May of the Salutation. The refounded church appears to have been a simple rectangular nave with west tower, but only the base of the tower survives. The current nave and north aisle occupy the position of their predecessor.
Since its foundation the church has been damaged by events including Owain Glydwr's rising of 1401 and the fire of 1665, and has undergone several major restorations by such architects as John Billinge and G.E. Street, to whom the majority of the interior can be credited. St. Mary's as it stands today has a varied mix of periods and styles, and is lop-sided, asymmetrical and out of alignment. It is built primarily from local rubble, with interpolations of variously coloured sandstone, and consists of a perpendicular nave with off-centre chancel, plinthed and crenelated tower, two aisles, incorporating a two-storey south porch similar that found at St. Aelhaiarn's Church, Guilsfield (NPRN 163185), and an organ chamber.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 25 November 2008