Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARK'S CHURCH, GABALFA

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 96063

Map Reference ST17NE

Grid Reference ST1708078803

Unitary (Local) Authority Cardiff

Old County Glamorgan

Community Llandaff

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 20th Century

Site Description St Mark's church is located on the east side of North Road (A470). It was built in 1967-8 to replace its predecessor which was demolished to make way for a nearby flyover road (NPRN 14231).
The church was built to designs of architects Seely and Paget, planned for participatory worship and designed in an over-elaborate modern idiom. It has a pentagonal plan and is constructed on ten large half-portal frames of laminated Douglas fir, reminiscent of crucks. The copper roof is crowned by a lantern of fanciful shape. There is an equally fanciful west tower which stands axially over the entrance. This has a concrete frame, its ground stage left open to form a porch, with brick infill above on a hexagonal plan, and open again at the bell-stage which is gabled in all four directions. The overall plan is completed by a pentagonal north-west chapel and a large rectangular hall on the south.
The facing material is grey-brown Leicestershire brick, except for the entrance hall and altar wall, of reconstituted Cotswold stone blocks, a contrast which reinforces the east-west axis. There is stained glass from two war memorial windows made for the old church, the earlier of 1920 by R.J.Newbery.
Source: J.Newman, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (1995), p.290.

RCAHMW, 23 December 2014

Digital Images

Archive Records