Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST JOHN THE BAPTIST CHURCH, NEWTON (PORTHCAWL)

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 96086

Map Reference SS87NW

Grid Reference SS8365777474

Unitary (Local) Authority Bridgend

Old County Glamorgan

Community Porthcawl

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval, Medieval

Site Description St John the Baptist's Church was founded in the later twelfth century and is mentioned in 1189. It was largely rebuilt in the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century, although some earlier features remain. It was altered and the vestry added in 1826-7 and the first of several restorations was undertaken in 1860-61. A meeting room and vestry were added in 1993.

The late medieval church consists of a massive west tower, a nave with south porch and chancel. The butressed tower has four levels of openings and rises to a saddlebacked roof with embattled and corbelled parapets on the north and south. The west face has an ornate doorway below a massive corbel table, which may have supported a timber platform, with a large perpendicular window above. There are similar windows in the nave and chancel. A high and wide pointed arch leads from the tower to the nave. The chancel arch has squints to either side with emplacements for the rood loft. Steps in the north wall led up to this and to an unusual projecting stone pulpit which suffers the Flagellation in relief. There are patches of original wallpaintings including a bust of the patron saint.

The church stands within a roughly square churchyard with a restored preaching cross to the south of the porch (NPRN 307258). St John's Well lies 130m to the south (NPRN 307259).

Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database (11214)

John Wiles, RCAHMW, 26 February 2008

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources