You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Cefnllys Castle;castell Glan Iethon;castle Bank

Loading Map
NPRN96530
Map ReferenceSO06SE
Grid ReferenceSO0893061460
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyRadnorshire
CommunityPenybont
Type Of SiteCASTLE
PeriodGeneral
Description
There are a complex series of earthworks at Cefnllys covering an area approximately 356m by 102m set upon a ridge in a loop of the River Irfon. They are thought to represent the remains of an Iron Age enclosure, a medieval town and two seperate castles. The castle to the north-east is thought to have been destroyed in 1262 and was replaced by the one to the south. This was commenced in 1267 and aerial photographs show a circular tower, c.10-12m in diameter, which stood at the centre of a rectangular walled court, c.35m square. There are also indications of round towers, c.5.0m across, at the northern and eastern angles, the latter apparently associated with an entrance. The southern castle was ruinous by the late sixteenth century. Other rectilinear banks and enclosures, some of which overlie elements of the defensive complex, are thought to represent a more recent farmsread.

Source: Brown 1972 (Rad. Soc. Trans. 42), 11-22.

J.Wiles, RCAHMW, 12 February 2004

Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/pdfGeneral Digital Donations Collection