Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

ST MARY'S NEW CHURCH

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 96660

Map Reference SO19SW

Grid Reference SO1095091355

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Newtown and Llanllwchaiarn

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period 19th Century

Site Description St David's Church is located in a spacious churchyard used as a cemetery, in a prominent position above New Road (A489). It was built in 1847 to the design of Thomas Penson (d. 1859). It is a Gothic revival church constructed of buff brick with buttresses, bulky pyramidal brick spirelets at the angles, and tall paired lancets with outer and inner hoods and dog-tooth ornament to arches. The church consists of tall aisled clerestoried nave with west tower, chancel with steeper roof and five-light Geometric traceried east window, single-storey vestry on the south, gabled porch on north and small apse to the east end. The tower is of five stages with saddleback roof and four pinnacles. A peal of six bells was brought from the old church.
Inside, the aisles are of six bays, polygonal arcade piers rising to pointed, decoratively moulded arches below cusped king-post and tie beam roofs. The aisles are now bare, originally filled by the north, west and south galleries removed in 1874 during the remodelling carried out by David Walker. Walker's yellow brick chancel replaced Penson's short apse. Painted stonework dates from 1961-4. Stained glass includes work by Powell & Son (1873 & 1902), and includes a notably theatrical stained glass memorial to Queen Victoria (1902).
The church closed in 2006. Furnishings, including an eagle lectern designed by Walker using timber from the old church, have gone. However, parts of a screen were moved to Llanllwchaiarn in 2011 (NPRN 421135). This dated from c.1500 and came from the old St Mary's Church in Newtown, and was installed as part of a new parclose screen designed in 1938 by Herbert L. North. After the church closed an RCAHMW photo record was made, before the fittings were dispersed. See (1) the detailed list description, (2) Richard Haslam, The Buildings of Wales: Powys (1979), pp. 173-4, and
Sources:
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
R.Scourfield & R.Haslam, Buildings of Wales: Powys (2013), p.222.
A Short History of St David's Church (in the NMRW archive).

R.F.Suggett & D.K.Leighton, RCAHMW, 28 July 2015

Digital Images

Archive Records