You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Holy Trinity Church, Stanley Road, Aberystwyth

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN58SE
Grid ReferenceSN5873181659
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
Period20th Century
Holy Trinity Church, set between Trinity and Stanley Roads, is by J. H. Middleton, the son of John Middleton of Cheltenham, who steered the firm into the Perpendicular Gothic already espoused by Bodley in the 1870s. The church was built in stages. The nave and gabled north-west porch date to 1883-1886, with the crossing and transepts datng to 1887-1888. The chancel was constructed in 1987-9, but the intended crossing tower with pyramidal roof remained unfinished, the intended spire never materialised.
The church is built of bull-nosed rubble masonry with freestone dressings, quoins, plinth band and stringcourses etc, stepped buttresses, and slate roofs with tiled cresting, crucifix finial to west gable, others broken. It is characterised by long traceried windows, more elaborate in the transepts, and with the western pair divided by a buttress. The interior is broad and aisleless with hammerbeam trusses carried low on corbels, the arches of the crossing ornate with shafting and Perpendicular panelling, and the chancel roof with niches under the corbels. The chancel floor is of black and white marble. The pulpit, an arts and crafts design in wood, dates to 1889, the stalls date to 1905. The reredos is an elaborate, carved and painted wood triptych under a crocketed spire by W.Ellery Anderson (1932).
Extracts from Cadw Listing description.
T.Lloyd, J.Orbach & R.Scourfield, Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (2006), p.
Victorian Society tour notes, 1999.

RCAHMW, 3 July 2015