You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Cynon's Church, Capel Cynon

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN34NE
Grid ReferenceSN3830049370
Unitary (Local) AuthorityCeredigion
Old CountyCardiganshire
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
St Cynon's church is situated within a rectilinear churchyard, sharing its north-western boundary with what is depicted on modern Ordnance Survey mapping as Capel Farm. Although historic Ordnance Survey mapping depicts a settlement here (with two of the buildings in the same position as now), its name is not shown. The church is dedicated to the 'Celtic' St Cynon but there is no current evidence for early medieval date. The church was not listed in the 'Taxatio' of 1291 but as it was a chapelry, may have already been in existence. It lay within Crugerydd (or Synod) Grange, which was granted to Whitland Abbey between 1147 and 1214 (Richard 1935, 351-2), so could possibly have been a grange chapel. It had been established by 1578 when it was shown on Saxton's map. The church is currently a chapelry to Llandysiliogogo parish. The regular, rectangular churchyard is integrated with and contemporary with surrounding nineteenth century enclosure.

The form of the pre-1820 church is not known. The church was rebuilt in 1820 on the same site, and in the same location as its predecessor, possibly retaining some of the earlier fabric. The present church is constructed of local shale rubble (the nave) and roughly coursed limestone rubble (the remainder). It consists of three-bayed nave, two-bayed chancel, organ chamber (north of chancel west bay) and vestry (south of nave east bay). The church was restored in the late nineteenth century, when the organ chamber and vestry were added and the church refenestarted, reroofed, refloored and reseated. The west door was also rebuilt at this time.

Sources include:
Cambria Archaeology, 2000, Ceredigion Churches, gazetteer, 48

RCAHMW, 2013.