You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Beuno's Church, Bettws Cedewain

Loading Map
NPRN146266
Map ReferenceSO19NW
Grid ReferenceSO1214096940
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyMontgomeryshire
CommunityBettws (Powys)
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
St Beuno's church is located at the forefront of the village of Bettws Cedewain, some nine miles to the south-west of Welshpool. The ancient church was reputedly founded by St Beuno in 6th Century. St Beuno's church is a single chambered structure with a western tower. The churchyard is circular in shape and design. The tower was rebuilt during the 16th Century, while the present nave and chancel were built during the second half of the 19th Century. The present day church holds the brass of the Reverend John ap Meredyth, the pre-Reformation brass in Powys, a chest, a bier and small scales of pre-Reformation stained glass. The Church has been able to maintain the 16th Century tower and the two stage timber belfry. However, the majority of the building is dated to 1868, when it undertook a rebuilding project.

M. Lloyd Davies, RCAHMW, 02 December 2008