Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

BETTWS CEDEWAIN CHURCH (ST BEUNO)

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 146266

Map Reference SO19NW

Grid Reference SO12149694

Unitary (Local) Authority Powys

Old County Montgomeryshire

Community Bettws (Powys)

Type of Site CHURCH

Broad Class RELIGIOUS RITUAL AND FUNERARY

Period Post Medieval

Site Description St Beuno’s church is located at the forefront of the village of Bettws Cedewain, some nine miles to the south-west of Welshpool. The ancient church was reputedly founded by St Beuno in 6th Century. St Beuno’s church is a single chambered structure with a western tower. The churchyard is circular in shape and design. The tower was rebuilt during the 16th Century, while the present nave and chancel were built during the second half of the 19th Century. The present day church holds the brass of the Reverend John ap Meredyth, the pre-Reformation brass in Powys, a chest, a bier and small scales of pre-Reformation stained glass. The Church has been able to maintain the 16th Century tower and the two stage timber belfry. However, the majority of the building is dated to 1868, when it undertook a rebuilding project.

M. Lloyd Davies, RCAHMW, 02 December 2008

Digital Images

Archive Records