You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Mary's Church, Trelystan

Loading Map
NPRN149330
Map ReferenceSJ20SE
Grid ReferenceSJ2635303936
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyMontgomeryshire
CommunityForden
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodMultiperiod
Description
The site of All Saints Church, Trelystan, has a long history, first appearing in the historical record in 1010 when it was the burial-place of Edelstan the Renowned; there is no record of its date of foundation. The current structure dates to the early fifteenth century, and is notable as the only surviving timber-framed church in Wales. It was thoroughly restored in 1856, at which time the timber frame was encased in heavy timber-studded framing with brick nogging, now painted white.
While much of the interior of this church dates to the nineteenth century restoration, the early arch braced timber roof survives, the walls are boarded with parts of old box pews and the flagstone floor incorporates seventeenth and eighteenth century memorial slabs at the east end. In addition there remains a Perpendicular style octagonal font, and a five-light fragment of the medieval rood screen. The church consists of a single-cell nave and chancel, south porch, weatherboarded bellcote with pyramidal roof and continuous louvers, and north vestry.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents

K Steele, RCAHMW, 25 November 2008