You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Amroth Castle, Amroth

Loading Map
NPRN21591
Map ReferenceSN10NE
Grid ReferenceSN1697007250
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityAmroth
Type Of SiteHOUSE
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
Amroth Castle was rebuilt in the 18th and 19th centuries on a 12th century site. A Length of ruined vaulting, seemingly the remains a of 16th century ground floor hall attached to the castle was noted by Thomas Lloyd in 1999.

The castle is castellated, cement rendered with battlements, bow windows and bays. Built to an L shaped plan, the main west front is of three storeys with a full-height porch projecting in the centre with a crenellated parapet and Tudor arch. The two upper storeys of the porch are probably C19. A chapel is attached to the north side above service quarters. Nothing remains of its interior, except a damaged stained glass lancet east window. Interior features include a Gothic fireplace in the reception room to the left of the entrance, and a Trafalgar commemorative plaque in the dining room ceiling.

Mjr James Ackland purchased Amroth Castle from the female heir to the estate in 1754. The wife of James Ackland was Frances Hancorne, and, as the Plaque in St Mary's Church, Tenby attests, Frances Ackland was the daughter of Thomas Hancorne of Penrice Castle*.

Alex Elliot who was High Sheriff in that year was married to Elizabeth, daughter of John Barlow of Lawrenny and widow of Joseph Walter of Rosemarket . Mjr Ackland was brother to Col (or mjr) Dudley Ackland who bought Boulston in 1797. He died and was buried at Tenby in 1820. Lord Nelson stayed at Amroth while on his way to Carew Castle where Sir William and Lady Hamilton were living. There is said to be a large plaque in his (Nelson's) honour in the ceiling of a room in Amroth Castle.

Mrs T Allen (nee Ackland) told Charles Egerton Allen that Amroth was purchased by Maj. Ackland with the money that his wife had inherited from Francis Philipps of Waungron*. She died in 1825 (In 1808 the Castle was occupied by Captain John Ackland) leaving the estate to her nephew, a Col Northey (?) who sold it to the Rev Thomas Shrapnel Biddulph. Biddulph was a descendant of the Elliots. He was a prebendary of Brecon and a magistrate for Pembroke and Carmarthen. The second son of the reverand became General Sir Michael Anthony Shrapnel Biddulph GCB etc who held various royal appointments.

In the 1850's Amroth was used as a lunatic asylum. In 1886 the castle was sold to the Rev. Thomas Richardson Fussell (Walfords County Families 1886 according to CEA) a retired minister.

References:
CADW listed buildings database.
Information from Ian Meredith, August 2014.

RCAHMW, 2014.
Resources
DownloadTypeSource
application/mswordPHGS - Pembrokeshire Historic Garden Sites Collection