DescriptionA half-timbered entrance lodge with a red tile roof and leaded glazing throughout. The lodge was built in 1888, when the main driveway to Chirk Castle was moved from New Hall Lodge, together with the main gate screen. It stands within the gates, on the N side and facing the drive. Single storey, set on a sandstone plinth, of decorative timber square-panel framing with diagonal braces forming lozenges. A balanced asymmetrical design of 3 bays, including a central recessed entrance porch with a 3-bay timber arcade. Central ribbed brick stack.
Associated with Chirk Castle gates (Nprn 26957)
Source: DE/DOM/SJ23NE, from photographs, and from CADW listed buildings database
J. Archer, RCAHMW, 11.10.2004