Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLANDYSUL

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 301111

Map Reference SN44SW

Grid Reference SN4175040690

Unitary (Local) Authority Carmarthenshire

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Llandysul

Type of Site TOWN

Broad Class UNASSIGNED

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Llandysul is a small town situated on the banks of the river Teifi. Llandysul was a village in the early 19th century and grew into a town with the growth of the woollen industry of the late 19th century. The proximity of upland grassland for sheep and the rapid-flowing river Teifi (for driving water mills) made it ideal for woollen manufacture. The principal woollen Mill (NPRN: 40886) operated between 1880 and 1922, it has now been converted for other uses.

St Tysul's church (NPRN: 400349) is the oldest building in Llandysul dating from the 13th century, but standing on an ancient foundation dating from the 6th century. The town also has a large number of chapels of different denominations.

A railway station (NPRN; 41358) was opened here in 1865, and the line, from Carmarthen to Newcastle Emlyn, ran until 1973.

GME 24/10/2000

Digital Images

Archive Records