Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

LLANAERON;LLANERCHAERON: GARDEN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 302081

Map Reference SN46SE

Grid Reference SN4798160177

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Ciliau Aeron

Type of Site COUNTRY HOUSE GARDEN

Broad Class GARDENS PARKS AND URBAN SPACES

Period Post Medieval

Site Description Llanaeron was bequeathed to the National Trust by the late Major Lewes in 1989-91. A modest gentry house of Classical pretension, the novelty of its layout of c 1800 by John Nash was estate activity planning around rectangular yards spatially balanced by two adjacent large walled kitchen gardens. Farming was partially separated from gardening by a frameyard, boiler house, potting shelters and gardeners' accommodation (Suggett 1995).

Much activity by volunteers initially resulted in restoration of the walled gardens. Later, the site of an Edwardian rose garden, formerly in the NW corner of the W Garden enclosure, was carefully excavated, deturfed, cleaned and planned. In 1996 roses were once more restored to it.

Two resident archaeologists were appointed in 1992, and a full EDM survey then made of the site (Ede and Mayes 1994). They were succeeded in 1995 by Nicky Evans, who then made a thorough study of the surviving glasshouse structures in their various states of disrepair preparatory to restoration. At least one wooden greenhouse has been sensitively restored and one concrete-framed greenhouse has been de-glazed and lies derelict.

CSB, c. 1995.

Llanerchaeron was at the forefront of eighteenth-century garden technology, the double kitchen garden incorporated glazed stove houses and heated walls to allow prestigious fruit, vegetables and flowers to be displayed to, and consumed by, visitors to the house. The Lewis family commissioned the fashionable John Nash to build nearby Llanerchaeron mansion, inland from Aberaeron, which sat at the heart of a working farmstead and garden. Pleasure grounds cleverly screened the working estate from visitors. (Text from the forthcoming 'Historic Wales from the Air', RCAHMW, 2012).

This garden is depicted on the Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25-inch map of Cardiganshire XXV, sheet 1 (1905).
RCAHMW, 11 August 2006.

Digital Images

Archive Records

Online Resources