You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Nant Iago Lead Mine; Plynlimmon Lead Mine

Loading Map
NPRN34004
Map ReferenceSN88NW
Grid ReferenceSN8261086300
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyMontgomeryshire
CommunityLlangurig
Type Of SiteLEAD MINE
PeriodPost Medieval
Description
1. Leats, 60ft diameter wheelpit and a Pelton wheel survive; one of highest and most isloated Welsh mining sites; worked until 1920.

2. Lead mine, working by 1846.
(source: Bick 1977, 57-9)
RCAHMW AP955040/43

3. Lead (1846-1917). Geology: Ordovician Upper Van mudstones and grits. The main vein has a ENE-WSW strike. The N-S cross vein has calcite with galena and sphalerite. Workings: A shaft and deep adit plus two other levels are visible. There are numerous small trials on the surrounding slopes. Transport: Numerous tramways for running the ore from the adits to the dressing floors are visible. Power: Leats running off from Nant Iago supplied water to three waterwheels and 2 Pelton wheels used for pumping, drawing and processing. The pumping wheel reached a maximum size of 60ft diameter. One cast iron Pelton wheel is intact and in situ on the dressing floor. A small gas engine was also formerly present on the dressing floor. The line of the high pressure pipe to the Pelton wheels can be seen as a scar on the hillside above. Processing: In 1900 a new three-storey processing mill was erected which was driven by 2 Pelton wheels and included a stone breaker, rolls, trommels, and six 4 compartement jigs. This replaced a dressing floor about which we have little information. The 1900s mill is partially intact on the ground floor with much processing machinery either in situ or scattered around. Much woodwork survives. A collapsed trommel screen is still in place together with a Pelton wheel and part of a belt driven drive shaft. A small feeder cone is also present. It is possible that other machinery lies buried within the main structure. Other features: Miners' barracks SN82558631, a store shed, mine office, and magazine are present but are poorly preserved. The cast-iron winding wheels from the shear legs and adjacent cage winder are present in the top of the shaft along with other debris. A cast-iron winding drum with gear wheel and rewound cable is partially buried in a spoil tip adjacent to the shaft SN82478638 (CPAT SMR, 1994).

4. Site as described when visited during Upland Survey in 2004. R.S. Jones, 2004.
Resources
DownloadTypeSourceDescription
application/postscriptCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveFigure 4 is a copy of William Wallers map of Cardiganshire, 1693 showing Plynlimon Mountain and many of the mines in the area and figure 5 is an annotated OS Surveyors drawing of 1833 showing the study area East of Llangurig.
application/pdfCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveDigital copy of the archaeological impact assessment report for Sweet Lamb Wind farm, Llanidloes.
application/mswordCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveA digital copy of an article about mining at Ponterwyd and in a small mine called Clara.
application/mswordCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveA digital copy of an article about a leat that leads to the Lisburne mines at Pontrhydygroes.
application/mswordCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveA digital copy of two articles about two mines called Bryn yr Afr and Camddwr bach which were located near the assessment area.
application/postscriptCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveAn annotated section of OS 2nd edition map sheets combined showing area of study.
application/postscriptCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveAnnotated OS base map showing the proposed application and development area for the Sweet Lamb Wind Farm, Y Foel, Llangurig.
application/postscriptCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveThree colour photographs. Plate 11 shows the area of turbine 13 looking toward Pen Pumlumon Arwystli. Plate 12 shows the depth of peat as exposed in the area of Esgair Maesnant and plate 13 shows Waun Goch cairn I, looking toward Pen Pumlumon Arwystli.
application/mswordCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveA digital copy of an article about the Llyn Llygad Rheidol reservoir.
application/rtfCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveA digital copy of an article about Upland Ceredigion, offering a brief history of the area and discussing the ways in which the land has been used over the years.
application/msaccessCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveA digital copy of a table detailing sites of archaeological interest.
application/mswordCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveDigital copy of a methods statement for an archaeological desk-based assessment at Sweet Lamb Wind Farm, Llanidloes.
application/postscriptCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveFigure 7 is a section of an OS 2nd edition map showing Nant Iago Lead Mine. Figure 8 is a section of an OS 2nd edition map showing the Wye Valley Lead mine. Figure 9 is a section of an OS 2nd edition map showing the area of Blaen Bidno.
application/mswordCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveA digital copy of an article about the two mines of Brynglas and Ponterwyd.
application/mswordCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveA digital copy of an article about Plynlimmon lead mine.
application/postscriptCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveFour colour photographs. Plate 14 shows the Nant Iago lead mine complex, looking South. Plate 15 shows the Nant Iago Lead Mine (North) looking South. Plate 16 shows the Nant Iago lead mine wheel pit. Plate 17 shows the Nant Iago lead mine crusher house, settling bins and wheel pits.
application/postscriptCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveColour photograph of Y Foel looking South from the area of Bryn Daith.
application/mswordCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveA digital copy of an article about a mine at Llywernog.
application/postscriptCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveAnnotated plan of the Sweet Lamb proposed windfarm site layout.
application/mswordCAP - Cambrian Archaeological Projects ArchiveA digital copy of a letter written to Mr. Richard Scott Jones of Cambrian Archaeological Projects describing the presence of sites of archaeological importance at the site of the proposed wind farm at Y Foel.