Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

PLAS UCHAF, WHITFORD

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 36163

Map Reference SJ17NW

Grid Reference SJ13907924

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Whitford

Type of Site HOUSE

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval

Site Description 1. 1603 stone 3 storey. Slate roof. Gables massive stack. Room above porch. Studded door. Interior 3' walls spiral stone stair. Stone mantel. Inscribed 1603 R.N.MM. Coloured & guilded. Former residence of Mostyns.
2. An extensive stone three storey house, rough-cast with alterations and additions, dated to 1603.
(source Os495card; SJ17NW52)
Associated with barn (Nprn37419)
J.Wiles 04.11.02

[Additional:] Plas-uchaf is a large, multi-period gentry house retaining much period detail. It has a long association with the Mostyn family. Drawings by John Ingleby show it in its late eighteenth-century heyday with numerous tall chimneys, a proliferation of wings, and an idiosyncratic porch open on the ground floor but with twin-gabled chambers. The proliferation of wings has made the buildingsequence seem confusing. The principal ranges have similar archbraced trusses, suggesting that phase 2 was built not long after phase 1. However, the following building chronology is offered:
1. C16th. The core of the house is a storeyed hall with lateral chimney , cross-passage and outer room. This house-type is well represented in north-east Wales (cf Houses of the Welsh Countryside, fig. 28). It is possible that an inner-room was demolished with the construction of phase 2.
2. 1603. In a characteristic second phase a large parlour wing with stair was added on the S side of the hall. The wing is dated by the 1603 inscription on the first-floor chamber fireplace. The stair has been remade in the C19th but retains its Jacobean character. An ovolo mouklded beam ion the chamber over the hall suggests a general early C17th refurbishment. The wing has three tiers of transomed window in the gable in Jacobean fashion. The service room and stair turret alongside sem contemporary with the parlour wing.
3. C18th. In a third phase the lower end of the early house was extended as a large service range running S-N with central chimney heating kitchen and ?servants' hall. The ogee-stopped beam in the kitchen suggests an early C18th date for the range. The elaborate porch may belong to this phase.
4. C19th additions include the lean-tos and subsidiary ranges and modifications to the servants' hall. A more polite entrance was contrived on the E side between hall and parlour.

Purcell's design and access statement (2015) provides an excellent illustrated historical account of the house.

4.
idsre

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources