You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Marconi Long Wave Transmitting Station, Waunfawr Transmitting Station, Plas-y-celyn, Cefn Du

Loading Map
NPRN405838
Map ReferenceSH56SW
Grid ReferenceSH5331860770
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyCaernarfonshire
CommunityWaunfawr
Type Of SiteRADIO STATION
PeriodModern
Description
The remains of the first successful Marconi long wave transmitting station are situated on the west-northwest slopes of Cefn Du, to the west of Llanberis. Much of the complex has survived on the hillside due in most part to the rugged nature of the concrete constructed footings. The site is extensive, ranging up to 2 sq. km in area. It was approached from the west, from the village of Waunfawr. The transmitter house still exists at the end of the entry drive and on the high ground to the east, there are the substantial remains of numerous radio mast bases, access tracks and ancillary buildings. The station was in use between 1912 and 1938 and was for many years the most important long wave station in Britain, handling imperial and international communications. The receiving station (nprn 421024) was at Tywyn.
Source: Williams, H., Marconi and his Wireless Stations in Wales, Gwasg Carreg Gwalch, Llanrwst, 1999.
RCAHMW, 2009.