You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Dinoth's Church, Bangor Is Coed

Loading Map
NPRN416
Map ReferenceSJ34NE
Grid ReferenceSJ3887045400
Unitary (Local) AuthorityWrexham
Old CountyFlintshire
CommunityBangor Is-y-coed
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
Description

Parts of St Dunawd's Church date from the fourteenth century and there are also fifteenth and sixteenth century elements. It was rebuilt in 1726-7 by the architect R.Trubshaw, and restored in 1868 and 1877 by the architect J.Douglas.

Eigteenth and nineteenth century wallpaintings exist in the church including a painting of St Dinoth in the southern aisle.

A fresco in the southern aisle that showed St Dinoth as a half-length bishop with a crozier in a border of flowers has been destroyed, but a copy is reported to survive. There is also an eighteenth century painted text in English in the chancel, three benefactions boards, and a ‘quaint’ set of eighteenth century bell-ringers’ rules.

Source: Richard Suggett, Painted Temples: Wallpaintings and Rood-screens in Welsh Churches, 1200–1800, (RCAHMW 2021).

RCAHMW 2021