You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Non's Church, Llanycefn

Loading Map
NPRN421181
Map ReferenceSN02SE
Grid ReferenceSN0963523733
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPembrokeshire
Old CountyPembrokeshire
CommunityMaenclochog
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodMultiperiod
Description
St Non's is a former parish church of medieval origin in a large churchyard with many C19th memorials. It retains the footprint of the nave and chancel of the medieval church with added porch and W bellcote. According to RCAHMW's Pembrokeshire Inventory (mon. 599), the chancel and W wall only were rebuilt but little early detail has survived rebuilding apart from the chancel arch and a hint of battered walling in the nave. The voussoirs of the chancel arch define a roughly rounded (rather than pointed) arch rising from plain imposts, and on the N side there are much-altered doorways for the rood-stair and loft and a possible squint. According to the Buildings of Wales Pembrokeshire (2004), p. 261, the church was restored in 1904 by Ernest Collier of Carmarthen, who also designed the Vicarage (1891) and possibly the school-room. A plaque (the only memorial in the church) records that these good works were promoted by the Rev. Thomas Jones (d. 1912), vicar for 27 years, and Mrs Jones. C19th detail includes the braced collar-beam trusses and the stained glass agnus dei (1906) in the E. window. The medieval font remains and is plain and roughly squared with traces of the fittings for the font cover.

The Pembrokeshire Inventory suggests that 'a tower, which fell down many years ago, is said to have formed part of the old church.'

The church is unlisted and now redundant and offered for sale by the Church in Wales. RCAHMW photography by Iain Wright August 2015. R.F. Suggett/RCAHMW/Aug. 2015