You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

St Deiniol's Church, Llanuwchllyn

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSH83SE
Grid ReferenceSH8736830282
Unitary (Local) AuthorityGwynedd
Old CountyMerioneth
Type Of SiteCHURCH
PeriodPost Medieval
St Deiniol's Church is medieval in origin, and its first documentary reference dates to 1291. It is situated within a curvilinear churchyard, which has been extended to the east and south-west and is bounded by a road on its west side. Traces of a former raised internal boundary are visible on the east and south sides, close to the church. A lych gate (NPRN 43849), dated 1725, is located in the north-west boundary wall. A sundial dated 1763 is situated in the churchyard.

The medieval church was taken down in 1872. It consisted of a chancel and nave with a south aisle of five bays (added in the seventeenth century) and a western gallery (added around 1745, probably when the rood loft was taken down).

The present church, built in 1873, is a Grade II listed building. It is constructed of rubble stone and consists of two parallel aisles (with the south aisle stopping short of the west end of the nave), a chancel (occupying the east end of the north aisle), a south vestry, north porch, and west bellecote with one bell. The font in the present church is medieval and clearly belonged to its predecessor. An effigy of a knight in armour (Ieuan ap Gruffudd ap Madog ap Iorwerth) is dated 1395. Documentary evidence indicates the existence of painted texts in 1729.

Sources include:
Beverley Smith, J, Beverley Smith, 2001, History of Merioneth II, 362-363
Gwynedd Archaeological Trust, 2000, Historic churches of Gwynedd: gazetteer, 391

RCAHMW, May 2011