You have no advanced search rows. Add one by clicking the '+ Add Row' button

Bryn Eglwys, Dylife

Loading Map
Map ReferenceSN89SE
Grid ReferenceSN8617094274
Unitary (Local) AuthorityPowys
Old CountyMontgomeryshire
Period19th Century

Bryn Eglwys dates from the mid-19th century, a time when the lead mining industry at Dylife was flourishing. The house has strong connections with lead mining as the early occupants worked in the industry. Internally the house has seen little modification since its construction, the only structural change being the replacement of the original stairs. Externally, an attached byre has been partly rebuilt, while two small outbuildings and a barn are no longer standing.

Bryn Eglwys is likely to have been built shortly after the church (built in 1852-6), at a time when the mining industry was flourishing. The earliest known record is on the gravestone of Catherine Davies in the graveyard of the Baptist Chapel in Staylittle. She died in 1861, aged 11, and her parents, David and Jane Davies, lived at Bryn Eglwys. The 1871 census indicates that the Davies family were still in residence. David, then aged 40, worked as an ore dresser. They had two children, Mary and Sarah. Also recorded at the same address were a lead miner, Thomas Jones, and his wife Rebecca. By 1881 the house had new residents, Richard Morris and his family. He farmed nine acres with his wife Hannah and they had two children, Hannah, aged 16, who was a general servant, and Jane, aged 11, as well as a stepson, 25-year old Joseph Davies, a miner. The Morris family remained at Bryn Eglwys until at least 1901, although by 1908 it was occupied by the Williams family.

The building was demolished in 2020.

Reference: Survey conducted by the Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust in November 2020, CPAT Report No 1761.

application/pdfCPATP - Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust Project ArchivesReport no 1761 relating to CPAT Project 2498: Building Survey for Bryn Eglwys, Dylife, dated 2020.