Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

GOGERDDAN MANSION

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 5487

Map Reference SN68SW

Grid Reference SN6295483650

Unitary (Local) Authority Ceredigion

Old County Cardiganshire

Community Trefeurig

Type of Site MANSION

Broad Class DOMESTIC

Period Post Medieval, 18th Century, 17th Century

Site Description Gogerddan Mansion was built in the late seventeenth to early eighteenth century, and much extended in 1860. The estate was owned by the Pryse family from at least the fifteenth century: the family was descended from Gwaethfod, Lord of Cardigan in the eleventh century. Gogerddan was the principal estate of the county, wealthy from lead-mining from the seventeenth century. The estate was sold by Sir Pryse Loveden Saunders-Pryse in 1949 to the University College of Wales. Since that time the interior has been largely modernised. The facade, however, has been preserved, of painted stucco topped by slate roofs and red and yellow brick chimneys with cornices.

The oldest datable feature of this building is the main staircase, dating from the mid eighteenth century. However there exists archaeological evidence indicating that there was an important medieval and fifteenth century house on site, including a richly carved beam which has since been moved to St. Fagan's Museum, and a number of reused timbers throughout the property.

Source: Cadw Listed Building Record
RCAHMW Inventory Documents; CD/Domestic/SN68SW from D.B. Hague

K Steele, RCAHMW, 10 February 2009

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources