NPRN768
Map ReferenceSS87SE
Grid ReferenceSS8817473861
Unitary (Local) AuthorityThe Vale of Glamorgan
Old CountyGlamorgan
CommunitySt Bride's Major (The Vale of Glamorgan)
Type Of SiteHOTEL
PeriodPost Medieval
DescriptionDunraven Arms, Southerndown, was originally a low thatched building. This was demolished and rebuilt in 1890 as Dunraven Hotel.
1948 the Wales Council for the Blind opened the premises as Southerndown Home for the Blind and Elderly, originally offering holidays for people with visual impairment.
The main building is 3 storeyed, stucco, with 2 imposing round 3-storey turrets to the front corners. The front porch has a round-headed entrance and there are dormer attic windows.
Reference: early postcards.
RCAHMW, 2010.