Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

HENSOL CASTLE, HENSOL PARK , PENDOYLAN

Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 18963

Map Reference ST07NW

Grid Reference ST04747891

Unitary (Local) Authority The Vale of Glamorgan

Old County Glamorgan

Community Pendoylan

Type of Site COUNTRY HOUSE, HOSPITAL

Broad Class HEALTH AND WELFARE, DOMESTIC, RECREATIONAL

Period Post Medieval

Site Description 1. 18th - 19th century mansion. Military gothic. 3 storey centre with 3 storey porch. 2 storey side units. Battlemented. Stone mullions. Turrets. Crown property.

2. Late C17th/earlyC18th origins but remodelled circa 1735. Greatly extended, probably between 1790 and 1815. Final remodelling of 1840. Stone construction with slate roof. Comprises a 2 and 3-storey main block at S end, square inner courtyard to the middle with 2-storey ranges, and a further, outer courtyard to N end with single storey ranges. Crenellations to all main elevations and towers. Projecting tower to central block. Slender towers to the ends of the main block. Similar towers to rear wings. Further towers, including a 2-storey gatehouse tower to E side. Panelled ceilings, including an impressive C17 ceiling to inner hall . Fine early Georgian main staircase with barley-twist balusters. The house retains some good C18 fabric of national importance in the development of gothic style.

(Source CADW listed buildings database)
J Hill 22.10.2003

3. Now The Vale Resort and home to the UK Rugby Team Training Facility. Recorded during RCAHMW aerial reconnaissance.

T. Driver, RCAHMW, 5th May 2016

4. In 1927 the house was sold to Glamorgan County Council for use as a hospital. In 1930 it opened as a home or ‘colony’ for men with learning difficulties under the provisions of the 1913 Mental Deficiency Act. Additional facilities were constructed to the rear of the house in 1935, in which year the hospital began accommodating women and children, with further additions in the late 1940s. With changing practices residency in the hospital declined in the later twentieth century until it was closed in 2003.

(Sources: RCAHMW, Inventory of Ancient Monuments in Glamorgan. Vol. IV, Pt 1, The Greater Houses (London: HMSO, 1981), p. 340; Mencap Cymru, Hensol Castle: Hidden Now Heard, People’s Collection Wales, Accessed 12.13.2019); Liz Day ‘Meet the men and women 'hidden away' at a South Wales institution who now take centre stage in a new exhibition’, Wales Online, 20.01.2015)
A.N. Coward, RCAHMW, 12.03.2019

Digital Images

Archive Records

Associated Sites

Online Resources