Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Site Details

© Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey licence number 0100022206

NPRN 23448

Map Reference SJ17SE

Grid Reference SJ18957499

Unitary (Local) Authority Flintshire

Old County Flintshire

Community Holywell



Period Post Medieval

Site Description Lluesty Hospital was built between 1838-40 as a workhouse, for the Union of 14 parishes, by John Welch, architect of St Asaph and Surveyor to the Guardians. It was built by Thomas Hughes of Liverpool and the contracter was Samuel Parry. There may have been alterations in 1869 and it was enlarged to the right in 1902. There were also some modern extensions during it's conversion to hospital use. It has the standard workhouse grid plan with separate courtyards for men and women and transverse and spinal ranges with a linking central octagon.

The building has a Classical front with coursed masonry, plinth and slate roofs. The main block is a three-storey, three-bay builing,advanced to the centre with a pediment. There are giant order pilasters, paired to the central bay, rising from the first floor sill band. There are small-pane sash windows including broad tripartite window to the second floor centre and round-headed windows to the first floor, as well as similar (round-headed) windows to the ground floor flanking the porch with a pedimented parapet. There are also two -storey, three-window wings set back, behind which the side elevations of the main block become rubble with similiar small-pane sash windows. At the right end of the building there is a two-storey, four-bay 1902 range with freestone dressings and a hipped roof.

There are also three-storey main courtyard ranges and a four-storey central octagonal block which have sashes without glazing bars. The spinal range continues to the rear of the octagon.

Source:- Cadw listed buildings, NJR 16/07/2008

Digital Images

Archive Records

Online Resources