Nid oes gennych resi chwilio datblygedig. Ychwanegwch un trwy glicio ar y botwm '+ Ychwanegu Rhes'

St Bridget's Church, Skenfrith

Loading Map
Cyfeirnod MapSO42SE
Cyfeirnod GridSO4561020340
Awdurdod Unedol (Lleol)Monmouthshire
Hen SirSir Fynwy
Math O SafleEGLWYS

St Bridget's Church, Skenfrith, is a small medieval church built in several phases. The earliest phase is believed to date from the reign of King John (1199-1216), with aisles added before the fifteenth century. The tower walls are 5 feet thick and topped by a low 2-stage timber-framed "dovecote" belfry, the lower stage close-studded and the upper with two tiers of small square louvred openings and a pyramidal roof. The north aisle contains a very fine sixteenth century chest tomb of John Morgan (d. 1557), steward of the Duchy of Lancaster, last governor of the "Three Castles" (Grossmont, Skenfrith and White Castle), and MP for Monmouthshire Boroughs in 1553 and 1554. The lid has incised carving of the subject (a bearded man in cap and robe) together with his wife, surrounded by margin lettering. The church was repaired and restored in the later seventeenth century, and the nave and chancel roofs were replaced in 1896 by E.G. Davies. Further restoration was carried out 1909-1910.

The fragmentary Sunday Christ carries some colour traces, and there are blackletter English texts with borders, which were copied in 1910, and later English text possibly dating to 1663.

Sources include:
CADW listed bildings database.
Richard Suggett, Painted Temples: Wallpaintings and Rood-screens in Welsh Churches, 1200–1800, (RCAHMW 2021), pp. 137.