Nid oes gennych resi chwilio datblygedig. Ychwanegwch un trwy glicio ar y botwm '+ Ychwanegu Rhes'

Aberaeron Town Hall

Loading Map
NPRN23301
Cyfeirnod MapSN46SE
Cyfeirnod GridSN4580962928
Awdurdod Unedol (Lleol)Ceredigion
Hen SirCeredigion
CymunedAberaeron
Math O SafleNEUADD TREF
CyfnodÔl-Ganoloesol
Disgrifiad
The town hall was built in 1846 to accommodate the Court of Quarter Sessions. It had an arcaded market hall on the ground floor and a council chamber or courthouse above. It became a County Hall from 1888. In 1934-6 and about 1948, a return range was added along Victoria Street and the large rear block was added after 1981 to a design prepared in 1958.

This is a bold classical building whose dark rubble stone walls contrast with the gaily painted facades that characterise this nineteenth century new town. It is rather set back from Market Street, giving space to a place of assembly.

The original Town Hall shows a five bay two storey facade to Market Street under a slate hipped roof. The central three bays are slightly advanced, the lower level serving as a podium to the temple front presented by the upper atorey, which has four pillars under a cross gabled pediment capped by a louvred bellcote. The upper storey windows are tall flat topped sashes whilst those below are round-headed, originally arched openings to the market. The two storey rear block may be part of the original layout. The main upper chamber was reached by a stair in the recessed south-east block and there was a jail set back along Victoria Street to the north-west, replaced by the present range in 1934-6.

The OS County series 2nd edition of 1905 (Cardigan. XVIII.12) shows further ranges set about a court at the rear which were not shown on the 1st edition of 1890.

Source: CADW Listed Buildings Database (10040)

John Wiles 19.09.07

Adnoddau
LawrlwythoMathFfynhonnell
application/pdfRCAHMW Exhibitions