Nid oes gennych resi chwilio datblygedig. Ychwanegwch un trwy glicio ar y botwm '+ Ychwanegu Rhes'

Atlantic College

Loading Map
NPRN300312
Cyfeirnod MapSS96NW
Cyfeirnod GridSS9343068090
Awdurdod Unedol (Lleol)Abertawe
Hen SirMorgannwg
CymunedSt Donats
Math O SafleCASTELL
CyfnodCanoloesol
Disgrifiad
St Donat's Castle is thought to have originated in the twelfth century and has been continuously occupied until the present day. The surviving remains were built around 1300 and consisit of concentric outer and inner curtain walls, a contemporary outer gatehouse and an inner gatehouse with Mansell Tower. The gun room walls are also of this date. Around 1450-1500 the Great Hall with Stradling Entrance, the Below Priest's Room and Gibbett Tower were added. The northwest and north-east ranges of inner courtyard buildings are thought to be of 1500 to 1525. Alterations were made in the early twentieth century and further work was carried out in the late 1920s through to the mid 1930s.

The interior of the west range was partly gutted and remodelled in the late 1920s to circa 1935 and arranged with fittings from other historic buildings, including a fifteenth century stone screen from a Devon church and a probably French hooded fireplace. Further rooms in this range include the Armoury and the Breakfast room.

The alterations in the 1920s and 30s were carried out during the ownership of William Randolph Hearst, the American newspaper magnate. During this time lavish parties were held with visitors from the American movie and political scene, including Charlie Chaplin, Douglas Fairbanks, and the young John F. Kennedy.

Source: CADW listed buildings database

J Hill, RCAHMW, 3 November 2003.
Adnoddau
LawrlwythoMathFfynhonnell
application/pdfRCAHMW Exhibitions