Nid oes gennych resi chwilio datblygedig. Ychwanegwch un trwy glicio ar y botwm '+ Ychwanegu Rhes'

Caerwent, Royal Naval Propellant Factory; Rnpf Caerwent

Loading Map
NPRN96062
Cyfeirnod MapST49SE
Cyfeirnod GridST4750091500
Awdurdod Unedol (Lleol)Monmouthshire
Hen SirSir Fynwy
CymunedCaerwent
Math O SafleFFATRI FFRWYDRON
CyfnodModern
Disgrifiad
Construction of Caerwent Royal Naval Propellant Factory started in 1939 and it was fully operational by 1941 for production of cordite for the Navy. The site had been chosen for the availability of water from the Severn Tunnel. It covers an area about 3km east to west by 2km and is one of the largest such military sites in Britain, covering over 600 hectares. The factory was taken over by the United States army in 1967 as a munitions store and closed in 1993. Many of the buildings and bunkers survive and are still in use today as part of a major training area (one of three in Wales) capable of sustaining up to 1,000 troops. There are over 400 buildings and bunkers on the site, an operating railway (that is connected to the main line) and a comprehensive road system, for logistics exercises and driver training.

B.A.Malaws & C.Parry, RCAHMW, 4 August 2011.

Source: A Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of South East Wales, AIA, 2003